Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

首頁首頁  相冊相冊  Latest imagesLatest images  會員註冊會員註冊  登入  

20141219 觀受是苦互疼惜Practicing the Four Mindfulnesses

向下 
發表人內容
王慮怡
無量光曜心
無量光曜心

文章總數 : 2495
威望 : 33
注冊日期 : 2012-11-03

20141219 觀受是苦互疼惜Practicing the Four Mindfulnesses   Empty
發表主題: 20141219 觀受是苦互疼惜Practicing the Four Mindfulnesses    20141219 觀受是苦互疼惜Practicing the Four Mindfulnesses   Empty周五 4月 10, 2015 11:55 pm

Life is truly impermanent and unpredictable. Back in August, a series of gas explosions ripped through Kaohsiung for a distance of four kilometers. See how powerful the explosions were. As of now, damaged roads are still being rebuilt. In a few more days, the reconstruction work will be done. It’s been more than four months now. See how impermanence can strike in the blink of an eye, leaving people to suffer traumatically for a very long time. When people talk about it now, they’re still very scared.

As soon as the accident happened, Tzu Chi volunteers immediately mobilized to help. Indeed, wherever there’s a disaster, Tzu Chi volunteers will bravely to there to bring aid like this. For those who were injured by the explosions, no words can describe their suffering. Seeing their burns and wounds, I was reminded of the Four Mindfulnesses that the Buddha teaches us. The first is that our body is unclean and the second is that our sensations are suffering.

“How are your hands”? “These are all skin grafts.” “I see.” “Feet, too.”
“The explosion came from behind? Tell Master what happened.”
“It exploded from under the ground.”
“It hit him hard. He stood right at where it exploded”
“At least you’re fine now. It takes time to heal. It must be hard for you to wear the pressure garment especially when it’s hot.”
“His wounds keep opening up. He was worried that he could no longer play piano.”
“His fingers are fine. I’m sure he can play piano again. Stay positive and hang in there. You’ll be fine”

See, not only does the injured son suffer, his mother suffers as well. Such suffering is truly unspeakable. That’s why the Buddha teaches us that the body is unclean and sensations are suffering. The Buddha also said that the mind is impermanent. Our mind is ever-changing. If every one of us can be grateful for every moment we’ve passed in peace and safety and treat one another with gratitude and respect, ours will be a blessed life.

We’ve seen news about Haiti. Many people there are poor. Last month, days of heavy rains had caused severe flooding in many parts of Haiti. The poor who were affected suffered even more. So, our volunteers went to some of the worst-hit areas to see how they could help. They saw a woman who was so starved that her belly almost met up with her back because she had gone without food and water for days. The locals are poor to begin with and now they’re devastated by disaster. So, our volunteers have given out food supplies to them.

Everyone, we all live in the same world at the same time, but their lives are so different from ours. We live in peace, safety and abundance but they suffer from impoverishment and disaster. So, as we are better off, we should reach out to them. This is also a way to sowing blessings. In fact, if we’ve learned the Dharma, we’ll know to give of ourselves with love. When I came to Kaohsiung this time, I see that many people have been listening to my Dharma talk. We also heard the story of one volunteer who is a member of medical association. She is a pharmacist.

Serving as our medical volunteer, she often goes to conduct health education for people and visits families in need to provide care and medical services. But before she really took the Dharma to heart, she was very attached to her husband. She needed to know his whereabouts. Sometimes, she’d call him ten to 20 times until he called back. This was how attached she was to him.

One time, she heard my talk on the Four Mindfulnesses in which I spoke of how we should realize that the body is unclean, sensations are suffering, etc. She suddenly woke up and realized that nothing is permanent and she shouldn’t be so suspicious and track her husband all the time, which only caused them both to suffer.

Since then, she’s stopped tracking her husband. So, her husband asked her “How come you don’t call me anymore?” Now, they’re closer than ever before. Living in this world, we should cherish our affinities with one another. If we can treat one another with sincerity and love, every family will enjoy peace and happiness and we’ll live in harmony with one another. To achieve that everyone should start with themselves. If every one of us can do so, we can set an example for others to follow. When we give with love, we can inspire others by example. By helping people in suffering, we can also lead a meaningful life.

Everyone, the power of love is indeed very great. Today, I see our medical volunteers in the audience. They safeguard people’s health with love and often go to out-of-the way places to care for people in need of medical help. Members from our teachers’ assn. are also here today. After Typhoon Morakot struck southern Taiwan in 2009, they went to schools that took in students whose schools had been destroyed to care for them and help with their studies. They even went to the village we built for disaster survivors and stayed there to guide their children.

Apart from them, I also see our honorary board members, members from our assn. for police officers, community volunteers, etc. Many of you have become our certified volunteers. Having joined this big family, I hope everyone can serve as bodhisattvas and often come to our chapter here to take part in the events we hold. If so, I’m sure our society will enjoy even more peace and safety in the coming year. When disasters strike, we should awaken to the lesson they bring us. With a sincere heart, let us pray for more peace in every day to come.
回頂端 向下

回頂端 
1頁(共1頁)

這個論壇的權限:無法 在這個版面回復文章
 :: 菩提法水 :: The Superme Wisdom on Earth-
前往: