Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

首頁首頁  相冊相冊  Latest imagesLatest images  會員註冊會員註冊  登入  

20141226 南亞海嘯滿十年 The Tenth Anniversary of South Asian Tsunami

向下 
發表人內容
王慮怡
無量光曜心
無量光曜心

文章總數 : 2495
威望 : 33
注冊日期 : 2012-11-03

20141226 南亞海嘯滿十年 The Tenth Anniversary of South Asian Tsunami  Empty
發表主題: 20141226 南亞海嘯滿十年 The Tenth Anniversary of South Asian Tsunami    20141226 南亞海嘯滿十年 The Tenth Anniversary of South Asian Tsunami  Empty周六 4月 11, 2015 12:03 am

“Tzu Chi is one of the NGOs that played a remarkable role in helping people in Aceh after the tsunami.” Ten years ago today, a magnitude-9 earthquake struck off the coast of Aceh, Indonesia, triggering a series of devastating tsunamis that affected 13 countries bordering the Indian Ocean.
India had suffered severe devastation. Malaysia had also been affected and there were casualties in Thailand as well.

At that time, Tzu Chi volunteers in Thailand had mobilized to carry out relief. Not many houses were destroyed there but thousands of people living near the coast had lost their lives. But we received news that the worst-hit area was Aceh, Indonesia. Learning of that, we immediately contacted our volunteers in Jakarta and asked them to survey the disaster. They quickly flew to Aceh, and the government also dispatched a military aircraft to help us carry supplies, medicine, etc to Aceh. Be it manpower or relief goods, Tzu Chi had done a lot to help. In fact, all Tzu Chi volunteers had mobilized to help.

Later, we saw that Hambantota, Sir Lanka was also severely devastated. All this truly made us feel that life is unpredictable and filled with much pain and suffering. Apart from carrying out relief and holding free clinics in Hambantota, our volunteers stayed there for quite some time. They saw that a lot of people had lost their homes, and many of them were elderly people. Some were injured, and many had become orphans, widows, etc. So, we knew that we needed to build permanent houses for them.

Then, we started to look for a safe place to build the houses, as we didn’t want to rebuild their homes near the coast. We talked to the local government, and they provided us a large forest area, which was about 105 hectares. With that, we began to make plans to develop the area and build a village there. Back then, I remember we even planned a 30-meter-wide roadway with a median strip for them. We made plans as carefully as how people did urban planning here in Taiwan. As it turned out, the houses we built for them are very beautiful as if vacation villas.

Apart from building the houses and obtaining the deed to the land for them, we even included a yard area for each house so the residents could plant flowers, etc. Our volunteers even went to help do landscaping for them. This is how mindful Tzu Chi volunteers are. We also built a school there.
See how the trees along the major roadway have grown so big. It is very different from ten years ago.

A while back, our volunteers went back to visit the locals to see how they are doing and hear them recount the disaster ten years ago. Our medical volunteers also held a free clinic for people where they also provided Chinese medicine treatment. I’m also grateful to our volunteers in Malaysia for often going to Sri Lanka to share Tzu Chi’s values with the locals. So, it is our volunteers in Malaysia who had helped bring Tzu Chi to Sir Lanka.

Time really flies. It’s been ten years since the tsunami hit. Early this month, our medical volunteers in Indonesia also went back to Aceh to hold a free clinic for the locals. Indeed, man can create miracles, but this is only possible when we pool together many people’s strength. See how much our volunteers in Indonesia have done to help the tsunami survivors. So, when we are safe and well, we must seize time to give.

It’s been ten years already. Two days ago, we saw that the Sante Nino Church in Tacloban, Philippines was reopened and help a holy mass on Christmas Eve. We heard the priest share with everyone about his trip to Hualien and how I said I’d help them repair the church. He also expressed his gratitude to Tzu Chi at the holy mass.

The church was damaged by Typhoon Haiyan last year. Regardless of religion, we’ve helped to repair the church so the locals can have a place to go and continue to practice the wholesome teachings of their religion. This is achieved through many people’s love. “I’m grateful to the workers in Tzu Chi’s cash-for-work program and I’m grateful to Tzu Chi. Without their help, we have no place to live.”

“I pray that my family can enjoy peace and good health. I am very grateful. Now, I am a part of Tzu Chi family.” Most locals are Catholics, but many have become our volunteers and some even consider themselves a part of our Tzu Chi family. See how people of different religions can live in peace and harmony. Coming to this world, we should embrace everyone with the same love and give of ourselves for humanity. Tzu Chi volunteers have done it.

Indeed, people of different religions should work in harmony and not discriminate against one another. Religions serve to bring peace and comfort to people’s hearts and guide us onto the correct path in life. This is the purpose of all religions. Religions also guide us to understand life’s purpose. Their teachings may vary but they point out a path for us to walk. Moreover, religions educate us on life’s principles.

When we have a religious faith, we can follow its teachings throughout our lives. So, all religions are good. All in all, with more people giving with love, our world will be more peaceful and harmonious.
But we must also awaken from our past mistakes and repent for the extravagant lifestyle we led, which have led to the disasters we experience now. Only when we return to our true nature can we live in peace and safety.
回頂端 向下

回頂端 
1頁(共1頁)

這個論壇的權限:無法 在這個版面回復文章
 :: 菩提法水 :: The Superme Wisdom on Earth-
前往: