Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

首頁首頁  相冊相冊  Latest imagesLatest images  會員註冊會員註冊  登入  

20100809-- The Need for Frugal Living and Peacefulness of Heart (長養平和‧力行簡約)

向下 
發表人內容
如意
版主
版主
如意

文章總數 : 713
來自 : 嘉義
威望 : 253
注冊日期 : 2009-04-17

20100809-- The Need for Frugal Living and Peacefulness of Heart (長養平和‧力行簡約) Empty
發表主題: 20100809-- The Need for Frugal Living and Peacefulness of Heart (長養平和‧力行簡約)   20100809-- The Need for Frugal Living and Peacefulness of Heart (長養平和‧力行簡約) Empty周二 8月 10, 2010 5:55 am

Date: Aug 9th, 2010 (Monday)
Lecturer: Master Zheng-Yan
Subject: The Need for Frugal Living and Peacefulness of Heart 長養平和力行簡約

People often say that man can conquer nature, but is that true?
When nature’s destructive forces bear down, we are powerless to fight back.
So, we have to have an attitude of humble piety and vigilance, and not go beyond our limits.

We still vividly remember the devastation from last year’s Typhoon Morakot.
On the night of August 7 last year, our foundation staff set up a relief coordination center in Hualien to consolidate all relevant information on disaster and relief efforts across Taiwan.

Our staff stayed in contact with our volunteers around Taiwan and book turns sleeping so there’d always be someone to monitor the disaster situation and gather the latest information.

After a night of fierce wind and rain, the next morning, August 8, I visited Tzu Chi’s institutions in Hualien to see how everything was after the typhoon.
Our primary and secondary school didn’t suffer any major damages. I then went to our college of technology.
On the way, I received a phone call to report that water was coming into many townships in southern Pingtung County.
The floodwaters were fierce and raging and carried mud and gravel.
There were many reports of disaster and damage.
So, we set up a disaster relief office in Pingtung and started buying cooking ingredients to provide hot meals to the survivors.

After the call, we began receiving reports of devastation from other parts of Taiwan.
That was what happened on August 8 last year, it was a very difficult day for me. I was very worried.

We then initiated a major relief effort to help survivors and provide what they needed and mobilized Tzu Chi volunteers all around Taiwan to prepare to assist with the disaster relief.
This all started on August 8 of last year.
In the afternoon of August 8, the devastation in the mountains began to be reported on the news.
On August 9, more shocking devastation was reported.
On the 8th, the news hadn’t come out yet as communication had been cut off.
A deep-seated landslide had occurred and buried and entire village.
So, people didn’t know about this until the 9th.

From then on, every day was filled with pain and heartache.
Therefore, we mustn’t forget this disaster.
Now that one year has passed and things have settled down, people tend to forget the disaster.
I often tell people that we need to be vigilant in peaceful times.

Though it’s our wish for everyone to be peaceful and safe, yet this is very difficult given the state of today’s world.
The growing population and booming economy and industry have created global warming and caused the climate to become abnormal.

I remember a few decades ago, when I expounded on the sutra teachings, I explained that the Buddha said our world will go through the phase of destruction with the Four Elements out of balance.
At that time, decades ago, I only explained what the sutra said.
But now this has become a reality.
Now, when I speak of what the Buddha said about nature’s disequilibrium and disasters, it’s what we’re experiencing.

Everyone, we are all responsible for what is happening to this world, global warming and the abnormal climate
Don’t think that the forest fire that is happening far away has nothing to do with us.

The wildfires in Russia are burning closer to a nuclear research facility.
Everyone is very scared.
This is something that everyone is very, very worried about.
Can you say that this is unrelated to us?
With the pollution floating in the atmosphere --- we all live on the same planet and under the same sky.
This global warming and the emission of greenhouse gases --- How can this not affect us?

There’s also the flooding in Pakistan. It’s heartrending to see the people’s suffering. We should try to help them.

In one footage, I saw a mother standing in water holding her child, with the child still on IV.
Can we bear to see them suffering like this? It is truly heartrending.
How can we help them? It’s been more than 10 days since the flooding occurred.
More rains are forecasted to come. One third of Pakistan is affected by the floods.
What a devastating situation.
Who can help the people? It’s very difficult.
For the aid to reach the people, the conditions to make that possible need to be in place.
If the conditions are not present, we can’t reach them even if we wish.

Also, we’ve seen incidents of chaos erupt at aid distribution sites making the relief work very difficult.

Everyone, how can we bear for them to continue in such conditions?
Before, I’d considered waiting till the next phase when the rain had stopped and evacuees had been settled down to see how Tzu Chi could help with their recovery.
Usually, when immediate aid isn’t possible, we’d wait and contribute to long-term recovery.
But, seeing all the suffering, I really cannot bear to do nothing.

Everyone, seeing all this, shouldn’t we be vigilant?
Besides being vigilant, we must make the great resolution to contribute by becoming more frugal in our daily living. We really must be more frugal.
If every person can conserve resources, there’d be a lot of resources to help people in need.
We mustn’t only think of ourselves. We must consider and work for the collective good.
If we only think of our comfort and don’t lead a more environmental lifestyle, when disasters result, survival itself will be difficult.

We are powerless in the face of nature’s disasters.
Only if people’s hearts become more good and pure and everyone does more good, can we hope to mitigate disaster.

I hope everyone can stop and think about this.
Where there are disasters, we should do our best to help, selflessly.
May the people receiving aid understand gratitude.

If people’s hearts don’t become more pure and good when there are greater disasters in the future, people will add to it with man-made calamities.
The consequences will be unimaginable.

I often share with you that I feel as if time is running out.
But now, everyone needs to feel the same sense of urgency.
So, I hope everyone can realize this and be peaceful and harmonious.
So our society can have peace and harmony.
Only then can we be free from disaster.
The only way this can come about is if people’s hearts are kind and good.

In a word, all disaster whether natural or man-made can be traced back to human actions and originate from the human mind.
I’m not trying to place the blame on mankind. This really is the truth.
So, it’s imperative that we quickly adjust our own hearts and minds

(Source: Da Ai TV 人間菩提)
回頂端 向下

20100809-- The Need for Frugal Living and Peacefulness of Heart (長養平和‧力行簡約)
回頂端 
1頁(共1頁)

這個論壇的權限:無法 在這個版面回復文章
 :: 菩提法水 :: The Superme Wisdom on Earth-
前往: